Places: St Katharine Blackrod

(See Hundreds And Parishes for background of Parish organisation)

St Katharine is the main church of Blackrod. It dates from the the 14th Century but has had various enlargements and additions over the years. It has a churchyard with many burials.

St Katharine was presumably a Chapel Of Ease for St Peter Bolton and according to FamilySearch it became a Parish Church in 1730.

For more information see FamilySearch, GENUKI, Lancashire Online Parish Clerks and this short history.

St Katharine Blackrod was the church used by many Lamb ancestors and relatives for baptisms, marriages and burials. This includes ancestors Richard and Mary Lamb and they still used the church after they had moved their family to Harrogate Street Central Wigan.

The ashes of Norman Richard Barton were buried here in 1998 in the grave of his mother Ellen Lamb but the grave could not be located in 2025.

It is still an active church.